Monday, June 6, 2011

Rent - On Broadway

I love starting out the week with a music contribution. This week’s music post is about a Broadway Musical – RENT – unbelievable show – there are no words for this amazing piece of work. There is no way you could have seen it and not shed at least one tear. If you didn’t, then a cold heart you have, sorry if that offends anyone who saw it and didn’t cry. Actually I’m not sorry, I pity you, as you would have to be sadly lacking in human compassion (and a heart) to not have been touched by this show. 

RENT closed a few years back; a sad day for Broadway and the masses who wish they saw it. In the late nineties I was lucky enough to see RENT. The show touched me in ways so deep that it made my life forever better. It opened my eyes and made me more aware of how life was affecting others in correlation with my own. A few years before the show closed my daughter went to see it and it moved her just as deeply. How could it not?

This phenomenal show touched on topics, at the time of its release, that were barely whispered about – they were taboo – homosexually, AIDES, drugs, homelessness and more of the “closet topics” – the ugly part of society as humanity has been conditioned to see it. Regardless of when the show was produced or the topics it promoted its message is as important today as it was when it was conceived. Check out the video and the video bar for other clips on RENT.

Also, for those interested in a chance to see RENT, off Broadway, here is some awesome news. RENT RETURNS! Previews begin July 14, 2011 – Opens August 11, 2011 – Visit New World Stages for tickets and more information http://www.siteforrent.com

Enjoy!
xx

I do not own this video. Posted for entertainment.

PS - There is a movie version of RENT that's not too shabby. Not the same as the play; but if you want to watch something with a message it's worth your time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, so talk to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...